Slide background

Avoid. Intercept. Redesign.

The A.I.R. FreeWave is all about making a freewave board fast and plane up quick, then making it turn off a hyper-compact outline and its forward Vee instead of its rocker. The boards are 220 to 222 cm long, with a short nose and tail and a mast track that’s been pulled back to allow the board to react and turn quickly.

With such a short tail, the bat-shape tail outline allows us to maximize fin grip, avoid cavitation while keeping the area behind the fins floaty yet as short as possible, all in the goal to maximize reactivity and maneuverability.

Ideal for smaller to medium sized waves where you need extra versatility from the board.

HYPER-COMPACT

The A.I.R. FreeWave 83 is 220 cm short while the A.I.R. FreeWave 93 and 103 are 222 cm short with chopped off noses and tails. Being roughly 10 cm shorter than a classic freewave board, maneuverability is maximized.

The mast track has also been pulled back compared to a classic freewave, which contributes to maximize maneuverability and reactivity.
BAT TAIL

BAT TAIL

The first A.I.R. FreeWave prototypes were promising but with their straight, squash tails, there simply wasn't enough grip provided by the fins for such a wide tail. Instead of adding fin surface area that would also translate into drag, we experimented with a few new tail shapes.

The Bat Tail shape outline prevents fin cavitation and improves fin grip while allowing for a short outline which in turn promotes reactivity and maneuverability.
FLAT VEE DOUBLE CONCAVE

FLAT VEE DOUBLE CONCAVE

The A.I.R. features a double concave bottom combined with a spiraling Vee.

The double concave bottom helps to add grip in the turns and comfort in choppy conditions while the forward Vee creates a power steering effect when engaging into turns.
THRUSTER FINS

THRUSTER FINS

The thruster set up was chosen for its combination of speed and maneuverability and for the A.I.R. FreeWave 93 and 103, we have a new Rush fin that generates more drive and traction while remaining maneuverable.

The smaller A.I.R. FreeWave 83 has a Stone Surf centre fin to emphasize a bit more the waveriding maneuverability at a slight expense in drive and traction.
DELUXE FOOTSTRAPS AND PADS

DELUXE FOOTSTRAPS AND PADS

The A.I.R. FreeWave feature 10mm thick footpads with a new diamond grooving pattern that provides grip and comfort over extended sessions while being more resistant to wear-and-tear.

They come with a new generation of Drake Deluxe footstraps, where the top cover is made from recycled plastic bottles, in partnership with Waste2Wear. The straps are strong and comfortable with strap-size indicators for easy adjustments.

CARBON L.C.F.

The A.I.R. FreeWave is available in Carbon L.C.F., our new carbon construction designed for the lightest weight but also the lowest carbon footprint.

At 86kg of CO2 emissions for a 117 litre board, Carbon L.C.F. is our most environmentally-friendly board yet, using bio resin and our exclusive end-grain Balsa sandwich core.
Learn more about Carbon L.C.F.

Bio resin has half the carbon emissions footprint as conventional epoxy resin and end-grain Balsa has a tenth of the footprint of conventional PVC sandwich cores.

Boards built using the Carbon L.C.F. technology use Smart Carbon vectors: putting the carbon smartly in the right places for an optimized combination of stiffness, flex and feel and ultimately allowing us to use less of it.

We've also removed all plastic from our packaging: bubble-wrap, plastic dust bags and EPS blocks have been replaced with honeycomb and corrugated cardboard to further reduce the carbon footprint of a Starboard.

CO2 EMISSIONS PER TECHNOLOGY

CARBON REFLEX

The A.I.R. FreeWaves are also available in Carbon Reflex, our lightest, most exclusive and limited edition flagship construction using the lightest biaxial carbon.

They offer more feel, more responsiveness and more flex than conventional boards. The Carbon Reflex is limited in stock, built to order with a four month delivery lead time.

VIEW DETAILS

The A.I.R. name comes from the Parley strategy: Avoid. Intercept. Redesign.

The idea is to avoid the use of plastics where possible, intercept plastics and recycle them when possible and redesign products and industries to use less plastic.

Because the A.I.R. FreeWave was the first board to use our new Carbon L.C.F. construction, we thought A.I.R would make a nice name for our all-new freewave board.
More about the A.I.R. strategy
  • A1: Avoid plastic where possible and replace with alternative materials

• A2: Avoid virgin plastics and replace with post-consumer recycled materials

• A3: Inspire and convince you network and consumers to avoid plastic
  • I1: Take back products at end of life, and keep plastic in a closed loop

• I2: Empower and incentivize consumers to return end-of-life products to the loop

• I3: Intercept plastic reaching landfills, rivers, lakes or oceans before it's burned or buried

• I4: Retrieve plastic debris from lakes, rivers, coastal areas, beach and oceans
  • R1: Question the reason to be for every item you create or promote

• R2: Create products that last

• R3: Develop and support the use of eco-innovative materials to replace plastic

• R4: Disrupt plastic-dependent product categories with new business models

• R5: Develop and support methods and technologies to prevent plastic pollution

• R6: Develop and support new technologies to up-cycle ocean plastic debris

Performance

Specifications

Model

A.I.R. FreeWave 83

A.I.R. FreeWave 93

A.I.R. FreeWave 103

Technology

Carbon L.C.F.

Carbon L.C.F.

Carbon L.C.F.

Volume