PDA

View Full Version : Boom height

WSguy
25th June 2007, 08:40 PM
How high do you rig your boom when you sail big sails from 6.5 to 10 sq. meters? I'm starting to use a mast pad under my boom head because I'm sailing a rather delicate board. This requires a boom arm height which lies about as high as my lower neck/collar bone. I've seen photos of various pros and amateurs with booms this high, but never really tried it seriously. Will this make sailing more difficult? Already I have my lines stretched to their max with this height. For me to lengthen them, I will have to bring them closer on the boom. This would definitely approach the recommendations of most professionals, but it isn't what I have been accustomed to using. Consequently, I've been spending more time in the water.

Kevin Pritchard
1st July 2007, 06:29 PM
I use mine pretty low compared to a lot of other pro's. I run mine around shoulder high, the sae as you it sounds. This is a great place to have it for control and ease of the gybes!

kp
http://kevinpritchardwindsurfing.blogspot.com/

WSguy
1st July 2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the reply from the Canaries, Kevin. I know how busy you must be. Actually, I'm not having any trouble now using large sails (6.7, 8.4) with the boom at a higher setting with bigger boards (122, 155 liters). It was difficult to change, but with some practice, I have adjusted. Sailing with a mast pad below the boom head forced me to set it higher. The pad is there to protect a new board. I may go back to your way, though, by customizing the pad.