PDA

View Full Version : Hucker 4.2 on Carve 101

Palmer
26th July 2007, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone!
Has anybody tried a hucker 4.2 (or similar sail and size) on the carve 101. Smallest recomended sail is 4.5 but would the board cope with a smaller sail/fin combo?
Best regards

Roger
26th July 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi Palmer,
Since the Sailworks Hucker 4.2 m2 has the same power as most 4.5-4.8 rigs, it will work just fine.
The limiting factor on sail size vs board size is mostly the sea state (chop and roughness) that you get at a certain windspeed, and this you cannot change. At some point, the conditions will get so rough, you will want to be on a smaller, narrower board.
Hope this helps,

Palmer
27th July 2007, 11:31 PM
Hi Roger!
I guess it's the finsize I worry more for. You often hear about how large a fin the board could carry (carve 101 have the range 28-38). But what about smallest size?
Maybe I just try a 26 fin. For a soon future I might consider the smaller s-type!
I wish you a soon recovery it's out there we want to see you!

Roger
27th July 2007, 11:58 PM
Hi Palmer,
You can go quite a bit smaller on the fin size.... 26 cm and a more swept or wave type of fin would be good.
Fins with a more swept or curvy planform work better in higher winds and chop as they are looser, yes, but they also hook back up more easily.
Hope this helps,