PDA

View Full Version : what next?

mikeleg
12th September 2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

I’m new to this forum, and I started windsurfing this summer. I’m thinking about getting some new gear for next season, and I would appreciate some advice. I’m currently sailing on an old Bic Rumba (150L long slalom board – I think). The sail I use most often is a 6.4, but I picked up an 8.5 Retro recently and absolutely love it. I’m 140 lbs. and sail on an inland lake; most often in 15-20 knot winds with some outings in 10-15 knots for practice. I can beach start, use the harness and foot straps, and I can plane easily. I’m working on water starts, but I find that my old 6.4 is incredibly heavy, and I have trouble getting it out of the water. My top recorded speed is 39 Km/h. I can tack easily, but I’m having trouble carving through my jibes. I really confused about how to progress, and what gear I should be considering. So, here are my questions.

1. I think about getting a newer short board. I’m assuming that it will help with my jibes. What volume should I be considering? What type of board?
2. I was surprised to discover that I have an easier time jibing with my new to me 8.5. Overall, I find the 8.5 much easier to control and predict than my older 6.4. My new sail came with a carbon mast which is much lighter than my fibre mast. I’m starting to think that modern sails are easier to sail and learn with. Is it the sail, the mast, or a combination of both that makes the difference? Or, is it just my imagination? What sails sizes should I be considering?
3. Any other tips/suggestions for getting to the next stage?

Ok, that’s a lot for one post. Thanks for your help.
Mike:confused::confused::confused:

crazychemical
13th September 2007, 04:02 PM
Hey Mikeleg,

Well you'll need a board that floats and that has a considerable volume to tolerate the 8.5 sail. So i would suggest something in the area between 120 and 135 L because these boards usually tollerate a range between 6.0 and 9.0. Also, you clearly are going fast and want to go faster so taking that in account, the fact that your an intermediate and that you want to carve it sounds like you're a candidate for the SB Furuta, or, if you want the GO. These are freeride/slalom boards which focus mainly on jibing and alround fun with a lot of comfort, easy use and just pure blasting on the water.
For the second question: carbon masts are lighter then non-carbon masts and are much more responsive therefore. Also, it is often true that newer sails are easier to handle because of the new materials that are used. I don't know when your 6.4 was built but it can be a bit of both as you say, that is giving you problems waterstarting. However most sailors will tell you that it is probably the mast you are using that is giving you problems, if you'd rig the 6.4 with a 55% or > carbon mast you'll see that is much faster and much easier to handle.
I'll leave Roger to tell you how to get to the next stage, but what i did, i just rampaged this forum :d

cheers

Roger
13th September 2007, 10:55 PM
Hi Mike,
Crazychem. has covered your questions pretty well.
I always thought the BIC Rhumba had a centerboard..... does yours?
Next question is do you use the centerboard very much?
Nothing to be afraid of here, but if you use the CB alot, you will have some adjustments in technique to make if you get a smaller short board without a centerboard.
Are you trying to plane through your jibes with the CB down? That basically won't work, for a number of reasons.
What is your weight? Your weight will have a lot of impact on how small a shortboard is most appropriate for you.
Something in the 110-140 liter range would seem good, but again, if you are heavier, you may want something bigger and wider to take advantage of the early planing characteristics.
As far as your rigs go, if the 6.4 m2 rig is the one with the green/aqua or reddish pinkish colored mast, then it's the original rig that came as the package with the BIC Rumba.
Yes, it's very heavy, due to the very heavy mast. The sail is not too bad, and if you put it on a high carbon 460 cm IMCS 24-26 mast it makes a pretty good rig.
You will also need a new mast base as the BIC setup left alot to be desired.
Whether you decide on a GO, a Carve/Futura, or something else is going to be based on what's available, what you can afford, and your conditions.
Sounds like you have the conditions to make a 6.4/7.5 rig size quiver work pretty well on a 120 liter board.
Hope this helps,

mikeleg
14th September 2007, 12:41 AM
Hey Roger & CrazyChem, thanks for the helpful info.

Roger: I'm 140 pounds and 5'11" tall. I'm fit and strong for my weight. I have been told by a few sailors that given my weight, I could get away with a larger sail than is recommended on the board. I have never tried it, so I'm not sure this is true.

Yup, the Rumba has a centerboard. The only time I have it down is when I'm uphauling. I've tried sailing with it up and down (never down when jibing) but I haven't been able to notice any difference, so I just sail with it up. I'll try a lighter mast with the 6.4 (yes its the original rig). I tried using the 490 carbon mast that came with my 8.5, but it was too stiff.

One of my concerns about going with a 120-130L board is that I'll outgrow it quickly. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm ready to handle anything less than 120L.

Mike

Roger
14th September 2007, 07:11 AM
Hi Mike,
At only 140 lbs. you can easi;y go down to something smaller (110 liters) from the standpoint of flotation.
Since most modern 110 liter boards will bealmost as wide as your Rumba, your only "learning curve" is going to be fore and aft stability (where you stand on the board).
That should be pretty easy for you to learn, and then you'll be "on you way".
A Carve or Futura in the 110-125 liter range is what I would suggest.
That will take you quite a ways in furthering your skill level, and may be a board you want to keep for lighter wind days down the road.
Hope this helps,

mikeleg
14th September 2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Roger it helps a lot. I started reading up on the Futura and it seems like an interesting board. I would love to try one.

BTW best of luck on the recovery. My brother had the same procedure done a few months back. He's already back at work. Your recovery seems to be progressing more quickly than his did. Keep up the walking.

Mike