PDA

View Full Version : planning threshold of 8.0 & formula

mike
21st October 2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Roger,

My present big rig is a 135L freeride (JP X-cite) & 8.0 Retro. I'm 185lbs. I figure my minimum wind requirement for this is 12 knots. This is decently powered, generally relaxed sailing. I may be able to continue nursing a plane through a bit less (lulls) but not so fun.

I have long debated whether or not to go formula. If I did I would start with the board and maybe get the 10.5 (& mast & boom) in the future if I choose.

My question:

What would be my estimated planning threshold for, say, and 158L F-type and a 8.0 Retro? Say the number is 10 knots average. Would this be nicely powered or would I be working?

Roger
22nd October 2007, 10:26 PM
Hi Mike,
Interesting question.....
There are a number of factors that may be at play here.
Board width will certainly help with early planing, so a wider board like the F-Type 158 should get you a knot or 2 in the early planing realm.
Skills will be a big factor.
If you can "ooch" a board onto a semi plane and then pump it onto a full plane, you can plane significantly more.
Sail Type may be a big factor as well.
You have the 8.0 m2 Retro which is one of the best light wind "powerplants", but you will need to rig it as full as possible and use an adjustable outhaul to extract all of it's marginal wind performance.
Wind Quality is another huge factor here.
If you have a nice steady 10 knots, you will have a little trouble getting going, but once on plane the wider F-Type (or a formula board/GO board/large Isonic) will go into "apparent wind" mode and you should remain powered up pretty easily.
If you have fluky, gusty winds with alot of holes, you'll be quite frustrated as some of the time you will be powered, sometimes just slogging along with no way to get planing.
So, if you have a steady or "gusting above" 10 knots of wind, and a 90 cm or wider board with a 55 cm or longer fin, you should be able to plane nearly all the time with your 8.0 m2 Retro once you figure out some of the technique required to get onto plane really early.
Hope this helps,

mike
23rd October 2007, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the quality reply Roger. The lighter the wind, the more every little "component" seems to count (fin, board width, technique, wind quality...). You've answered my question nicely.

sam 2007
12th January 2008, 10:00 PM
Mike,

I sail 8.0 and 10.0 Retros on my Free Formula 198 (90 cm x 280) and I weigh 190 lbs. I often check the wind speed after I get home online with NOAA. It seems like I need about 11 - 12 knots to be consistently planing on the 10.0 and maybe 12 - 13 for the 8.0.

Roger give me a good tip a couple of summers ago about planing earlier. He said not to sheet in too much. I would see a gust coming and oversheet which stalled the sail and made it harder to get going. I now try to sheet in lightly, bear off some and pump just a little. I still have days where it seems windy enough but I just can't quite get planing.

Sam