PDA

View Full Version : Flare 99

davidestroppa
18th November 2006, 07:42 PM
Is the Flare 99 a pure freestyle or more versatile ?
Thanks

Ola_H
20th November 2006, 05:03 AM
Its definitely a dedicated freestyle board BUT it still works good as a freerider too. Its hard to compete with anything that has a double strap rear (if you like that kind of riding) but compared to say a freestyle wave board with a central mounted back strap, the Flare can definitely hold its own. It has a faster rocker and likes more drawn out jibes and such things and its not so good on a wave, but for general blasting with a bit of trickery thrown inmaybe, its great.

davidestroppa
25th November 2006, 02:33 AM
Thanks Ola.
If I use it mostly on flat or choppy water, with 5.7 (I am 70 kg) at the lake or at seaside during summer thermic windy days is the Comabat a good alternative ? Which get into planning earlier ?

Ola_H
27th November 2006, 04:52 PM
Kombat could be a good alternative. The Flare might theoretically get going earlier, but for that theory to become prectice you definitely need a bigger fin than the freestyle specific size that comes with it. Kombat is more versatile: can be used in freeride mode (straps out), turns very good on a wave and also jibes more naturally (the Flare jibes excellently, but ir prefers to be attacked in kind of high speed race jibe style - its slalom rocker shining through).

At 70 kilos and no bigger than 5.7, the Kombat 87 might be the best choice for all round sailing, I would say, but if your doing freestyle stuff, the Flare 99 is it.