PDA

View Full Version : EARLY PLANING BOARDS

Hugh Jarmes
20th November 2006, 11:02 PM
The Star bulletin thread 'Apollo Vs x-186' raises an interesting point and a dilema I have been considering since i heard about the appllo.

i too own a x-186 but also a 160. i just couldn't bring myself to sell the x-186 as it is such a great board!

SB had a great deal of success with the x-186. It is light and stiff and at 264x100 it is considerably longer than modern formula boards. nevertheless, this gives it a massive surface area. (it is also 155 litres - the volume quoted for the Apollo)

I have not conducted any scientific tests but having sailed the two boards under the same conditions it 'seems' to me that the x-186 planes much earlier and more easily (a lot less effort). however, the x-186 cannot match the 160s upwind and downwind angles and i suspect the 160 has a higher top speed - just what you want in a Forula board

there are alot of factors affecting early planing (width, aspect ratio, volume, fin size, weight etc) and I do not claim to be an expert but it seems to me that the apollo is returning to the x-186 concept but incorporating the 161s ability to go upwing and downwind.

i would be interested to hear from someone more knowledgeable on this and to clarify what exactly determines a boards early planing ability and whay the x-186 is so good.

PS I also have an old F2 Thommen XXL which also planes increadibly early and its only 80cm wide. It is also 281x80 and 179 litres and as I am 96kg, this may have some bearing.

Phill104
21st November 2006, 03:28 AM
96 and the rest:)

I urge *board not to answer his questions as he's too bloody quick as it is:@

Remi
21st November 2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Hugh,

The X 186 can not match with the F 160 in early plaining if you pump. With the X 186 with pumping you can not plane under 8 knots easily, but with the F 160 no problems. If you wait for the wind to get planing at this time yes the X 186 will plane earlier due to the extra lenght.

All the best