View Full Version : Search Engine

kiwipole
21st November 2006, 12:43 PM
Is it working or is it just me?

Ian Fox
21st November 2006, 01:02 PM
Hi "Pole,

might be you this time :)

Make sure you select the (correct) radio button for where you want the search to search (current default is to Articles; search in that may not yield results - esp if you're expecting to search forum/post contents etc)

We might look at revising the default from "articles" to "foum posts" as that may be a bit more logical for search mode via the forums.

if you've some other or continuing error, please let us know some more details inc browser type / version and OS etc.

Cheers ~ Ian

kiwipole
22nd November 2006, 01:02 AM
Hi Ian

Ok the search for Carve 145 Fin returns:

25 Forum Posts found matching search criteria:
but it lists only one link (none yesterday):
Carve 145 Fin Size

The results are identical for Firefox and Explorer

rod_r
22nd November 2006, 02:47 AM
I agree with kiwipole. I don't think it's working either. It seems to show the number for all entries but only shows those generated since the new website came on line.

Going to the 2006 website and searching from there shows all entries but you can't open them.

regards,

rod

Ian Fox
22nd November 2006, 09:29 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Interesting.

Actually when I tested it yesterday - before replying- (search results were maybe about 8 - so all on the one (first) results page) it was all OK ... but now on searches yielding multiple results spanning more than one (results list) page, it seems impossible to view the subsequent results page/s.

We will work on fixing this ASAP.

Thanks for the feedback, our apologies for the inconvenience.
And sorry for the suggestion the screwup was on your side, Kiwi ! ;)

Cheers ~ Ian

kiwipole
23rd November 2006, 01:46 AM
No probs Ian

Stev-0
23rd November 2006, 06:19 AM
G'day (another Kiwi here)

I'm having the same problem. I'm searching for forum posts about the Acid 88 and I get this:

Search for:
Articles News Forum Posts Downloads Web Links Members

Search Results
474 Forum Posts found matching search criteria:

Page 3 of 48 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

The search result just gives the number of posts found and the only link is on the first page but there are no lists/links to the other 473 posts. I&#39;ve also tried searching your older websites and I get the list of forum posts but they can&#39;t open.

Cheers, Kiwi Steve

Ian Fox
23rd November 2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks Steve, yes, we are onto it as per above..

Cheers ~ Ian

Stev-0
24th November 2006, 03:48 AM
Bloody Kiwi&#39;s are all over this place B)

Ian Fox
24th November 2006, 07:24 AM
Actually I found the problem, we had a Kiwi filter built in !! ;)

Nah, more seriously the problem is resolved, the Search engine should now work perfectly.

The problem was caused by results being (incorrectly ) linked to users, so results showed ONLY where the user (searching) had participated in that discussion (not ideal....) . Way too smart for it&#39;s own good. Or ours. Anyway, resolved. We apologise for that one..

Please go for it.

Cheers ~ Ian

Jean-Marc
24th November 2006, 04:58 PM
Ian,

I&#39;ve found the way the search engines are working do vastly differ in 2007 from the previous 2000-2006 archives as follows :

1) 2000-2006 archives :

There are 573 unique forum threads containing the word "hypersonic" in those archives.

http://www.picosearch.com/cgi-bin/ts.pl?index=129460&opt=all&psel=SBForums&query=hypersonic&psel=

To open all the messages there, do the following :
i) remove the time & date stamp in the URL
ii) substitute the "www" by "2006" in the URL
iii) example : http://www.star-board.com/Forum/starbulletin/read.asp?ID=1710&t=200371010165 cannot be opened but http://2006.star-board.com/Forum/starbulletin/read.asp?ID=1710 can.

2) 2007 archives :

There are a whooping 5984 forum posts matching the word "hypersonic". Upon a close inspection, the search engine lists every occurence of that word in all forum posts but does not retrieve unique forum threads as shown above. In other words, it lists multiple messages within each forum threads.

In order to ease the daunting task of finding the correct topic of choice, the use of multiple words is strongly advised to improve the filtering. What is the correct syntax of using boolean attributes such as AND, OR, NOT for this search engine (doesn&#39;t seem to work to me) ?

Also be carefull with the spelling: searching for "hypersonic" and "fins" produced 52 hits but searching for "hypersonic" and "fin" yielded 112 hits that did not contain the previous 52 hits. Searching for "hypersonic" and "fin" and "fins" didn&#39;t give the expected 164 hits but gave 0 hits...!

Cheers !

JM