View Full Version : What are wingers?

21st August 2006, 03:51 AM
Can someone please explain to me what a winger is? apparently the new isonics have them but it doesn't tell you what they are!


21st August 2006, 05:34 AM
It's that old school slalom board thing!! Seen old Van Den Berg's (Aruba) with them and old Mistrals!

Funny I saw an old Naish wave board probably from late 80's which had the bottom just like the current JP boards like the FSW's

Me I just waiting for Tinkler tails to make a comeback! Go Challenge Flex!! :p

21st August 2006, 08:06 AM
Oh forgot to explain what they are!

If you look carefully near the rear of the boards, you will see the slight wings near the tail. On the Starboards they are very close to the rear and very sutble. Some good images on the I sonics here.


On this link you see an old Mistral with them. I think the idea was to provide area for planning, but once up to speed the narrowed tail added control. Also perhaps the thin wings provide "bite" during gybing?


Anyway just got in from cleaning up my new classics, something LeeeD would be proud of! ;)

I've just inherited a 8.4 Hi Per Tech and a Mistral Eruption, which is like new! Will be interesting to try them out and see how they stack up to the modern stuff! :D

21st August 2006, 08:19 AM
Additional question for you guys on the forum? I just tried typing my friend into the top post but noticed it got excluded? Very strange, so I then typed LeeeD and it worked.

Is there something I'm missing? :(

21st August 2006, 03:48 PM
Hi jonnyc

Wingers first appeared on surf boards and the name comes from them.

First they were a way to have width near the back of the board. They still wanted a narrow tail for turning so they came back in using steps. The amount of steps or wingers depended on how wide the board was.
They then found that the sharp edges gave more grip in the turns. The next step was to have chanels in the bottom releasing at the wingers. The next step was to take away the sharp wingers and just have a small round bump.

These have been used buy windsurf shapers at different times on all types of boards.

Looking at the current pictures of the iSonic I am a little puzzled as the icon for me is in the wrong place for a winger it should be where the board goes in from the wide point. Not at the back of the cut out.
Or maybe they are calling the board a double winger.

The cut outs on the bottom are acting like wingers without changinig the outline shape. So starboard are now using wingers and cutouts to get the desiered water release and tail width. The result more control with more speed.


21st August 2006, 05:55 PM
Hey Russell

That was a good explanation from the surfing roots history, I never associated the connection there coming from my non-surfing background

Maybe one of the Starboard guys can better explain their function for the new boards better?

22nd August 2006, 02:52 AM
Check out this from AHD. The attitude inspiro has extreme wingers..



22nd August 2006, 10:37 PM
Yeah I emailed him, but I never got a reply. I didn't always go along with his thoughts, but generally I found he had interesting comments to make and brought about good point.

Shame he doesn't post as it added colour to the forum I thought. ;)

23rd August 2006, 02:36 AM
Thank you all I now feel suitably enlightened as to what a winger is.

I can now talk knowledgably about it at the lake, plus will let you know if the're any good, I have a 101 iSonic on order, and I recently tried the 105 so I will compare! :)