Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th February 2018, 02:06 AM   #1
mamero

Default Futura and Chinook Base Plate - Mismatch - Need help.

I purchased a new 2016 Futura 114l. I am about to attach a new Chinook two-bolt base plate for the first time on this board.

Problem, the contour of the board deck and the contour of the Chinook plate bottom are significantly miss-matched. Both the board deck and plate are slightly concave shape. As a result, only the outside edges of the plate contact the board. The middle area where the plate bolts to the track has a fairly substantial gap. Have you encountered a base plate issue with with these boards? The newer Futuras have a sunken mast track area. I suppose I could really crank the two bolts tight and “hope” the plate bends to the shape of the board. My concern is that the opposite happens; the plate stays firm and dents/cracks the board on the outside edges. I really don’t want to damage my new board.

What do you suggest? All my extensions, UJs, and other boards use the Chinook system. A Chinook compatible base plate is required on this board.
mamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Have you considered a single bolt, on center mast base adapter.....Chinook makes them (or used to anyway).
They are more flexible than the hard plastic 2 bolt Chinook bases and may conform to the deck curvature of your board significantly better.
The 2 bolts are a bit stronger, but mostly overkill unless you are sailing large waves where the board and rig get tumbled alot.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote