Old 14th March 2007, 03:56 PM   #1
Roly Gardner

Default Fin Maintenance

Hi All

My Starboard Carve 144 came with a standard issue 52 cm fin ( I think it is standard anyway ). I have heard and read some stuff about sanding fins to bring them back into shape. Could someone tell me please what is involved here? When and how often is this likely to be required and how would I go about it?

Many Thanks in advance.

Roly
Roly Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2007, 04:35 PM   #2
namreh

Default RE: Fin Maintenance

I know 2 moments where you would sand your fins

1. you touched a rock and your fin has some small "problem". Sand it back in shape to avoid spinouts.

2. when your fin is making a whistling-sound on high speeds (like the select production fins). You can sand the back of your fin to get the whistling-sound away. I know also some gps-speeders who sand their fins to get better speeds.

namreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2007, 12:44 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Fin Maintenance

Hi Roly,
Namreh has it pretty much right.
If you strike anything in the water, and it damages the profile or the foil surfaces of your fin, then it's a good idea to file/sand out the little nicks.
If the damage is larger (like you hit the rock that Namreh was talking about, and took a big chunk out of the leading edge of your fin, then it's a good idea to get some thickened epoxy (Marine Tex; JB Weld Quik; West Systems and perhaps a tiny bit of glass cloth and fill in the missing chunk, then file and sand back to the original profile.
If there is paint, or logo stickers on your fin, then sometimes this can cause problems, and it's a good idea to sand them smooth with the surrounding profile.
Racers and speed sailors have some different opinions on what the fastest and best surface finish is.
Some seem to think an almost "polished" finish is the best, while others want a very smooth but "matte" finish that "wets out" really well.
Overall, I think the very smooth "matte" finish is the best and this is what we see on the very high end racing and speed fins, from the manufacturer.
Any kind of roughness or change in the profile or texture is bound to cause some "turbulent flow" in that area, and this can lead to "unattached flow" or spinout.
To correct for the "whistling" that Namreh refers to, you need to slightly "blunt" the trailing edge of the fin perpendicular to the centerline of the foil.
The "whistle" is normally cuased by the trailing edge being so thinned out that it can vibrate.
Also, sometimes in the manufacturing or finishing process, small "hollows" are created just ahead of the trailing edge. (it's hard to grind very thin sections without the thinnest part (the trailing edge) pushing away from the tool, so itthe tool removes a tiny bit more just ahead of the edge where it cannot push away).
You can test for this with a very accurate straight edge or a hardened and ground dowel pin.
Check the back of the foil normal to the flow around the foil.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote