Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 6th April 2007, 12:35 AM   #1
ferris

Send a message via MSN to ferris Send a message via Yahoo to ferris
Default Formula Windsurf and Formula Experience

Hi,

I just wanna know the differences between Formula Windsurf and Formula Experience.

Cheers,

Ferris
ferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2007, 02:09 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: Formula Windsurf and Formula Experience

Hi Ferris,
Formula Windsurfing (or just plain "Formula" racing as it's done in PWA
and Euro/So. American Championships) is "unlimited" except by a few rules.
Max. Sail size is 12.5 m2.
Max. Board width is 100.5 cm.
Max. Fin span (soon to change I've heard) 70 cm.
Everything else is pretty much you can sail anything you can afford, so racing formula at high levels is expensive.

Formula Experience is a Juniors and Youth program that limits alot more things.
Just a few are:
The board must be from the "registered" FE list (reg. with ISAF) and the FE boards do not change each year. They usually have a 4 year
"static" life span where the same boards are used, There ae new boards each year, but they come from the same molds for 4 years.
Depending on your age, the max. sail sizes are 11.0 of over 16 years old, and 8.5 m2 for under 16 years old. (I may have the ages or sial sizes mixed up here, but there is a definite rule that the smaller younger kids are restricted to 8.5 m2)
No 100% carbon masts are allowed. There is an approved list of masts that are normally 75-90% carbon, making them less expensive (but heavier).
Only aluminum booms are allowed. No full carbon booms! Once again the idea is to make the cost of racing FE less expensive.
Here's the link to the FE Class rules:

http://www.formula-experience.org/FE/class/rule06.html

So there you have it!
Formula is "unlimited" and costly!
Formula Experience limits sail sizes, boards, masts, booms, and I think maybe stock fins are required.
FE's main focus is to limit the cost and provide a "level playing field" as far as the equipment goes.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2007, 09:27 AM   #3
ferris

Dear Roger,

After severeal rides on a Start(classes plus 12 other times) I guess I'm ready to step onto something different.

Sail Conditions:

90% flatwater
70% 8-15knots
I'm 76kg, 1.8m height.
weekend warrior in shape, hehehe.

I can use the straps and jibes are getting better.

The other day a friend bought a FE and I saw him very happy after an hour, he had a CARVE 144 and his is 106kg.

Will I sink/sunk on that CARVE 144 or the FE is a better choice?

Thank you once again,

ps: I don't have any windsurf equipment so far, I hire them. It will change, oh yeah.

FerrisB)
Old 25th July 2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ferris,
Coming down form a Start to a Carve 144 for a 76 Kg. sailor should not be too much of a problem, but are you using the hired Starts with the centerboard/centerfin......or not?
The FE board might be a good choice too, but you need a much larger rig to make the FE (and Formula boards) work in 8-15 knot winds.
The Carve 144 (even with a huge ,5-9.0 m2 rig) isn&#39;t going to be doing much in < 12 knots of wind.
Are you ready (as in you&#39;ve already tried them) for big 8.0 m2 and greater rigs?
If yes, you would be good to go on the Carve 144 or FE.
If no, then you need to take some big rigs out and see how you like the added weight and power before you select your rig sizes for the sails you will be buying to power your new board.
If you sail in winds over 12 knots, then a 7.5 m2 would get you planing, so an even smaller board might be OK for your weight.
A bit more difficult to learn on, but you are a "weekend warrior in shape, hehehe." so you will probably be able to use the skills you&#39;ve learned to begin some good progress.

So, overall, I think the Carve 144 makes more sense as it doesn&#39;t require the really big rigs for full performance.
Get a quiver of 8.5/7.5/6.5 and you should be quite happy up to 18-20 knots on the Carve 144 in flat water.
Since you are light, you can get a smaller 100-115 liter board for the 6.5 and higher winds.
Hope this helps,
Old 26th July 2007, 12:43 AM   #5
ferris

Quote:
Roger wrote:
Hi Ferris,
Coming down form a Start to a Carve 144 for a 76 Kg. sailor should not be too much of a problem, but are you using the hired Starts with the centerboard/centerfin......or not? Both!!
The FE board might be a good choice too, but you need a much larger rig to make the FE (and Formula boards) work in 8-15 knot winds.
The Carve 144 (even with a huge ,5-9.0 m2 rig) isn&#39;t going to be doing much in < 12 knots of wind.

Are you ready (as in you&#39;ve already tried them) for big 8.0 m2 and greater rigs? Yes, I use a 8.0 when it´s ,12knots

If yes, you would be good to go on the Carve 144 or FE.
If no, then you need to take some big rigs out and see how you like the added weight and power before you select your rig sizes for the sails you will be buying to power your new board.
If you sail in winds over 12 knots, then a 7.5 m2 would get you planing, so an even smaller board might be OK for your weight.
A bit more difficult to learn on, but you are a "weekend warrior in shape, hehehe." so you will probably be able to use the skills you&#39;ve learned to begin some good progress.

So, overall, I think the Carve 144 makes more sense as it doesn&#39;t require the really big rigs for full performance.
Get a quiver of 8.5/7.5/6.5 and you should be quite happy up to 18-20 knots on the Carve 144 in flat water.
Since you are light, you can get a smaller 100-115 liter board for the 6.5 and higher winds.
Hope this helps,
Thank you so much.

I´ll try the Carve 144.

Regards,

Ferris
Old 21st October 2007, 10:41 AM   #6
ferris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferris View Post
Thank you so much.

I´ll try the Carve 144.

Regards,

Ferris
Dear Roger,

I´ve got a Severne NCX 8.0 and I just want to know if I get a 9.0 or a 9.5 it would "kill" my Carve 145l 2005. The NCX is not working between 8-12knots.

Thank you once again,

Ferris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 21st October 2007, 08:58 PM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ferris,
A larger NCX (or Overdrive/Gator) in 9.0 m2 or an Element 9.5 m2 will work pretty nicely on your '05 Carve 145.
But....
The limiting factor to earlier planing may not be sail size.
If you are wanting to plane as early as your friend on the FE board, or as early as any other local sailors on Formula; FE; or Apollo boards, you will most likely be a bit disappointed in your Carve 145 with the 9.0-9.5 m2 rig.
You will drop the planing threshold a little with a larger rig, for sure, but you simply cannot drop it down to be competitiive with the wider boards mentioned above.
Beyond 8.5 m2 I'm pretty sure the "gain" from a larger rig drops off quicly unless you have the wide tail and big fin found on the Formula/FE/Apollp boards.
This is not meant to discourage you at all.
The bigger sails will work (up to 9.5 m2 for sure) but the larger sail; longer mast; longer
carbon boom will be pricey and only you can decide if the cost/benefit ratio is acceptable.
Hope this helps,