Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 12th May 2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Sam J

Default What board should i get?

Hi roger
i'v been windsurfing for almost a year now using an old hifly magnum and i would like to buy a new board. I'v been exploring the star-board 2007 boards catalogue and have narrowed my selection down to the starsurfer, the go, the phantom, the hybrid and the carve. If you think i would benefit from a different board then please say. I am 12 years old, but tall for my age at 5'8" and weigh 121lbs. I can sail comfortably in winds up to force 6-7. I can do simple freestyle moves such as 360's/720's sail and body 360's/720's and sail 360's as well as hely tacks, flare gybes and beach starts (deep and shallow).

I want to use my new board for freeride/freestyle and as an introduction to wave sailing as well as having lots of speed. My next aims are to learn water starts, carve gybes, jumping etc...
Apart from a bit of wave sailing i will mainly be using my board on an inland reservoir with typical wind speeds ranging from force 1 - force 6 occasionaly stronger.

please could you give me your recomendation for my next board?

thanks
sam
Sam J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:16 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: What board should i get?

Hi Sam J and welcome to the Starboard School Forum,
Sorry, but there are no boards in the Staboard lineup that will be good for wave sailing, Bft F1 sailing, and Bft F6 sailing.
You are young and eager so you can probably get a whole lot out on one board, but not quite "slogging" Bft F1, wave sailing, and Bft F6 high wind sailing.
Sounds like you need to progress from the HiFly Magnum and at your weight I would recommend a 100-115 liter board.
It's going to be a really strectch, right at first, but you being you means you will "figure it out" very quickly.
So, a Carve 101/111/122 might be a good choice, or the S-Type 115.
A small GO 139 might also be a good start as this will give you a bit better early planing than the other boards, but won't do waves very well and is probably a bit big and wide for Bft F6.
Hope this helpa,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:17 PM   #3
Sam J

actually i probably won't need the board for waves. Just for freestyle and freeride. Which one should i get?
Thnks Sam J
Old 14th May 2007, 09:02 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam,
Ok, another couple of questions and we can most likely "dial you in" on what board is going to be the best for you.
What wind speed will you be sailing in "most of the time"?
F1-3 or F3-6.....?
If you are going to be sailing in F1-F3 most of the time a wider board and a large rig will get you the most "time on the water planing.
Or perhaps something like the Phantom.
Do you use the centerboard in the HiFly Magnums you've been sailing?
If youi sail in F4-F6 more often then a smaller narrower board like a Carve is going to be much better and give you the opportunity to advance your skills more quickly.
What size rigs do most of the other sailors use where you are sailing?
If they are all on 6.5 and smaller rigs most of the time, then go with the Carve.
If they are on 7.5 m2 and larger most of the time, then the Go 139 may be a much better choice.
Hope this helps,
Old 15th May 2007, 04:07 AM   #5
Sam J

i genarally sail in F4-F6.
i use the centre board in my magnum.
most of the sailor (in f6 (ish)) use 5.5 but they are generally 30/40 years old. I usually use a 5.7 but when it's really blowy i go down to a 4.3.
Old 15th May 2007, 05:28 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Sam J,
I still like the Carve 122 for your size and your conditons.
An S-type might be OK, but you would give up a bit of early planing.
What size boards are the others sailing.
The Magnum with the CB down makes what you are doing very different than what the true shortboarders are doing.
Your board is too big for F5+, so you use a smaller rig to compensate.
The Carve 101 would really be better for what you want, but you's need at least F5 to make this little board work unless you get a rig in the 6.5-7.5 m2 size range.
I hesitate to suggest too small a board, but you are young and will quickly figure out the differences.
At your weight and size, you could really get the Carve 101 going early with a 7.5 m2 rig and a larger fin, but that would be a huge jump down in size and a significantly different skills set than your Magnum.
Hope this helps,
Old 17th May 2007, 03:59 AM   #7
Sam J

Ok thnx
My club has some carves and go's available to try so i'll do that and see what's best.
Thnx for all your help. I'll be geting back to you in a couple of months.
Sam J