Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 13th May 2007, 06:13 AM   #1
Windsup

Default F-type in 2007?

It appears that the F-type boards were discontinued in 2007. What's up? I've looked around on the forums and google, but can't find an explanation.

Mike
Windsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 08:10 AM   #2
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme
Default RE: F-type in 2007?

The F-Type line was merged with the iSonic line.

The iSonic 155 is faster version of the F-Type 148. I tested one the other weekend and compared it to my F-Type 148. I was surprised how similar they were... but you could tell the iS155 was a faster option. It seemed more efficient to me.

The iS145 is similar to the F-Type 138. There is no equivalent for the F-Type 158 ... go up to the F161 if you want something that big.

So, I guess the explanation I see is just a re-naming of the line to capitalize on the popularity and success of the iSonics. And I think it fits... they made the F-Types more race-ready, so why not use the iSonic name with them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Windsup,
O2bnme has it right.
Starboard didn't find the F-Types to be the huge selling boards that they had hoped they would be, so to cover the same range, and make the boards a little faster, they "redesigned" the F-Types and blended them in at the larger wider board end of the Isonic line.
I have the Isonic 145, and it rocks! Almost the same "magic carpet ride" that I found on the F-Type 138 and FF-138 the year before, but a little faster as well.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:58 AM   #4
Windsup

Thanks for the info! I'm 6'5" and 215lb so I'm interested in the widest board. I've never sailed a super wide board - my widest is 68cm!? I've poked around and it seems hard to find the formula equipment for sale anywhere... My local shop has a discounted 2006 F-type 158 that has interested me. I'm not ready to shell out the full formula costs that I've heard about (>$2000!!!), but the formula experience 160 sounds interesting. How does the FE 160 ('07) compare to the FT158 ('06) and to the F161 ('07)? My guess is that there isn't really that much difference between them - early planing, up/down wind, gybing, tacking, ... Perhaps the FE 160 is more robust than either of the other boards. Thanks again for you help!

Mike
Old 14th May 2007, 06:29 AM   #5
rod_r

Mike
At your weight, the discounted Ftype 158 would be very hard to beat. Pair it up with a 9m or bigger and you'll be in early planing heaven :-).
rod_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 08:23 PM   #6
MA_Pete

Winsup:

You probably can't go wrong either way, F-Type 158 or FE160. I started out with the F-Type 158 in 2005 (because of all the rave reviews here on the forum). I went to the F-Type 148 last year. This year I wanted to go bigger again, to go for earliest planing. I considered the Apollo (which is now sold out in North America) and the F161, but they were both so expensive, and I was worried about the durability.

My local shop had a 2005 F-Type 158 on sale for $999, and a 2006 Formula Experience 160 for a little less. I decided to go for the FE160, just picked it up Saturday. I will let you know how it compares when I get a chance to get out on it.

I was out on my F-Type 148 on Saturday, had a great day drag racing some other guys, one on an F-Type 158 and the other on a Bic Formula.

I have liked the F-Types so much, I am thinking of getting the iSonic 145 to compliment the FE160, for use with 9.5/8.5/7.5, whereas the FE160 would be for light days on the 9.5 only. (Also considering the iSonic 133...)

As to durability of the F-Types versus FE160, I am sure the FE160 is pretty tough due to the Tufskin construction (and you can feel that 1.5 kg difference when carrying it), but having owned 2 DRAM F-Types, I can tell you those are very durable too.

-Pete
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Windsup

I'm almost sold on the FT158... Just how fragile is the FT158? I'm assuming I definitely should get a board bag. I've never used one on my old boards and have had no problems, but then again my old boards have a nice thick plastic shell... I'm sure that most of the dings occur on land in handling or being blown around... But, what about on the water? Can my heel make a ding?? My only falls during light wind sailing occur on gybes occasionally, and maybe an rareslam when I don't go in and rig down... So far in reading the forums I don't see anyone complain about the fragility of these types of boards... One last comment - how hard is it to repair these dings yourself, or should I always take it to a shop.

mike
Old 16th May 2007, 02:10 PM   #8
Duracell

FT158 wood == don't be too aggressive gybing! I was, put a lot of downforce in it, went in the knees, hand slipped a bit, fell approx. 30cm with 1 knee on the board (FT138 wood), still supported by hand and had other foot on board as well (so basically kneeling): Hole in board! AND if you think warranty or anything in that direction, THINK AGAIN.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Duracell

FT158 wood == don't be too aggressive gybing! I was, put a lot of downforce in it, went in the knees, hand slipped a bit, fell approx. 30cm with 1 knee on the board (FT138 wood), still supported by hand and had other foot on board as well (so basically kneeling): Hole in board! AND if you think warranty or anything in that direction, THINK AGAIN.
Duracell is offline   Reply With Quote