Go Back   Starboard Forums > Kevin`s Corner

Old 18th May 2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Daniel B

Default Isonic 115 & Light-wind setup

Hi kevin !!!
One question. I would like to improve the light-wind perfomance of my Isonic ( early planing and upwind ability, not racing ).
I was thinking of getting a 46 cm fin ( and keep the stock 42 cm ) for my 8.0 ( and my 72 kg )
Is it too much for the board ?
Thanks in advance !
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

Default RE: Isonic 115 & Light-wind setup

Daniel,

The 46 is a pretty big fin for the 115. I have been using the Sl2 42 in my 122 with my 9.0 so I think if you would upgrade to a 44 maybe custom fin would be big enough improvement to get you up and going earlier. Check out Debiochet's website and order up the Sl2 44. It is a sweet one as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2007, 10:51 PM   #3
Daniel B

Default RE: Isonic 115 & Light-wind setup

Kevin,
Thanks a lot for your help.
I am having a diff time with my 115 and light wind stuff. Even though I am able to plane, I am only able to do it by going downwind. It feels like I am not getting enough resistance from my fin ( specially at low speeds ). But I am not sure if it has to do with the fin or technique.
Could you please give me some tips to plane earlier and going upwind in light winds on my I-115 ?
So far I found that lowering the boom ( few cm below the mid point of the cut ) helps to go upwind in marginal winds; although I am not sure if this is logical or not ( cause I am putting more weight on the board )
Where should I place the mast track ? ( now 3/4 forward )
And straps ? Now I am using them all the way back; is this ok ?
And finally, would a flatter sail profile help in this case ? or a deep profile is better to create more power ?
Thanks in advance !
Daniel B is offline   Reply With Quote