Old 18th December 2017, 05:44 AM   #1
Del Carpenter

Default slalom racing board for old guy

Hi Roger, please recommend a board or size range & type for me for slalom racing when the wind is between 15 to 25 mph in places like the Worthington MN Windsurfing Regatta & Music Festival. (We talked there quite a few times.) I’m considering anything from about 130L to 160L. Stability is much more important than speed (my physical reaction time is slow & I still don’t water start). I think I would rather fight to control a too big board at 25mph than try to ride one that is too small to be stable enough for me to uphaul at 25 mph. I’m 5’10”, weigh from 170 to 180 lbs. The smallest boards I’ve owned & sailed successfully in the past are: Starboard X-186 (about 150L) & later had a much older F2 Comet (149L). I don’t have either of them now. From early 2014 to now 95% of my windsurfing is on a 220L Kona One. I have no expectations of ever really being competitive in those MOWIND slalom races; I just want to be able to be on the course. Maybe I could get good enough to be no more than 1 lap behind in a 3 lap race. (Because of land sailing I already have wave sail rigs from 3.7 to 5.6.) Thank you.
Del Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 09:34 AM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default Slalom Board?

Hi Del,
I'm not sure it's quite as easy as you are making it sound.
What size rig are you planning to use in 25 knots of wind?
Race sail with several cambers?
Camberless Free Race sails?
Having sailed on Lake Okabena, on some small slalom gear, it gets
pretty crazy as you move around the lake the wind speed varies so much.
I think 130-150 liters is way too big.
You should be able to handle something in the 110-120 liter range, with 5.0
6.0 m2 rigs, smaller fins, but fairly wide so it's easy to get on plane and
to uphaul if you need to.
Maybe ~75 cm wide.
If you could find one, a older Starboard W-75 race board wouldn't be too bad
a choice, or maybe a nice used iSonic 115-122.
I've sailed the 122 in some pretty windy and rough conditions and it's got a
huge range but doesn't get too out of control when the chop gets bigger.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Sorry I missed all of you last year.....health issues, that I working on putting behind
me.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 12:09 PM   #3
Del Carpenter

Thank you, Roger. Yes, I used 25 mph as a guess at the highest upper range I have any hope of handling. My sails don't have cambers; they are from sometime around 2001 to 2005 (3.7 North, 4.2 North, 4.7 Simmer Style, 5.3 Simmer Style & 5.6 Simmer Style).

Not "as easy as" I'm making it sound, meaning for a range of 15 to 25 I should be thinking about more than one board? I did think about covering the lower part of that range first. Let me change my question.

If the board is intended to cover 15 to 20 mph is your recommendation something around 75 cm wide, around 122 L?

(That would be, to uphaul "when" I need to, not "if.")

I hope to see you at the USWA Nationals in April in Seaford VA.
Old 19th December 2017, 09:07 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

So, which sail would you choose in 25 knots of wind?
Another board to consider, but a board that won't win the races but is
very easy to sail and pretty quick because it's easy to sail would be the
Atomic IQ (either the 120 liter if you think you will sail more in 15-20 than
20-25 knots or the Atomic IQ 110 if more sailing in the 20-25 knot range.
For a guy who has spent as much time on longboards as you have, figuring
out the fore/aft balance to uphaul any of these much shorter boards is going
to be challenging.
Once you figure out where to place your weight so the tail or the nose doesn't sink
out from under you, you should have very little trouble uphauing as you've been
up hauling long narrow boards routinely.
Getting enough sail size with you Simmers is going to be tricky as well.
The ISonics are all set up to sail larger sails.
The Atomic IQ will be more forgiving on sail size.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 04:36 AM   #5
Del Carpenter

I will also look at the Atomic IQ. I don't know what sail size I would use at 25 mph. I have very little experience at 25 mph and most of that was several years ago.

The sails I use are all non-camber. The ones larger than 5.6 are: 6.0 Gybe Slalom Racing monofilm from England, mid 90's(?), Kona 7.4, Kona 7.8, Kona 8.2, and a late 80's mylar Gaastra 9.0. (I still have, but almost never use several bigger, cambered race sails.)

I'd overlooked owning a 135L Exocet Speed Slider 77 cm wide for 2-3 years ending in 2014. I was successful with that. But, looking back using your comment, when I tried slalom racing with it I probably was using fins that were too large, at least too large for me to handle. I'm sure I was also using sail sizes too big for me to always handle, trying too much to be at least a little competitive. I should have focused on making sure I could handle what I was using and actually always finish.

You are always very helpful, Roger.