Old 10th June 2007, 01:32 AM   #1
timtodt

Default ST 126

Hi Roger!

I have recently bought a ST 126 2006. I have a Saber 7.2 and a Simmer Crossover 5.7. Standard Drake Fin 390 was delivered with the board. On my first ride I had a lot of Spin Outs but I had less of it on the next day. It rides differently than my JP Xcite 120 but it seems like a very nice board. I am looking forward to explore it during windy days to come. Do You have any suggestions regarding complementary sails or fins to get the most out of the board?

I am 180 cm and weigh 85 kg.

Kind Regards

Tim Tødt, Linkøping, Sweden
timtodt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: ST 126

Hi Tim,
Without actually trying the fin that came with your board, on your board and also trying your rigs with that same fin and board, it's difficult to tell whether you might have a fin problem or you need to spend more time on the board and develop your techniques to suit the S-Type better.
The S-Types like to be well powered up as they are somewhat narrower than other boards in their same size range.
They are not normally really "early planers" for the amount of volume they have, but when well powered, and given a chance to power onto a plane they can be quite fast.
If you are "slalom sailing" a more vertical planform race or pointer fin can help. Increase the fin size about 3-4 cm for improved early planing, or downsize about the same 3-4 cm for better top speed.
As to what sails to use to get the most from the S-Type, again it's going to depend on what your want the board to do, and how much windspeed you have available.
5.7 m2-7.2 m2 is a pretty wide quiver spacing, and to me the 5.7 m2 almost seems a bit small for a 126 liter board.
Free Race or slalom racing type sails would seem to giveyou the best combination of low end and top end (overpowered) stability, so I think these sail types might prove to give the S-Type both it's maximum range and speeds.
In summary, the stock OEM fin may not suit your conditions and the sails you are using really well.
If you are doing failry lite wind bump and jump, then more curved plsnform fins may loosen the board up a bit and help with jibes and keeping the fin "hooked up" when landing jumps.
Tell us a bit more about how you are using the board, and in what situaitons the fin "spins out" and I'm sure we can "dial you in" on getting the most from the S-Type 126.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 03:44 PM   #3
timtodt

Hi Roger!

Thanks for Your advice. It is a real pleasure to read them! I have learned so much through this forum.

I have been out on the board in planing winds 5-6 times now. Most of the times the wind was very strong so it was difficult to handle the 5.7 Simmer Crossover sail. I have only had a few spin outs so I guess its much down to get used with the board. The spin outs I had was mainly after a small airborne and landing to hard on the back foot. Also in marginal winds I have a tendency to get spin outs when I am on the edge of planing.

I sail most of my time in Halmstad on the west coast of Sweden. The wind direction in mostly cross on shore with waves 70-100 cm. I guess wind speed is often 6-8 m/s and on good days 10-12 where I prefer my 5.7 sail. My sailing style today is mostly going on to plane and ride for 1 km and then try a gybe (which often fails) and go back in.

I am considering buying a 8.5 Gaastra GTX for my ST 126. I am also considering to buy a Kombat 87 for those more windy days.

Kind Regards

Tim
Old 3rd July 2007, 09:22 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Tim,
Sounds like a good plan.
Try to learn to "tuck your bacvk foot up under your butt" when jumping, so that your board lands well down wind of your "trajectory".
If the lee side of the fin doesn't have any pressure on it as you land, the chance of spinout is very small. Once the fin is back in the water and hooked up, you can gradually increase the pressure so yoiu can go upwind or gain alot of speed for your next jump.
And, yes, if you push a little too hard, just as the board is aboout to plane it's pretty easy to exceed the force the fin can resist with the water going by slowly.
If you wait a bit until you have good speed, then you can put quite a bit of pressure on the fin and it will stay solid.
Again, just be sure to increase the pressure gently.
Small fins like those found on the S-Types can handle lots of pressure, once you are up to speed, but they are still small fins so you cannot ever "jump on them" like you can a big formula race fin.
Hope this helps,
P.S. You will love the Kombat 97 with your 5.7 m2 rig!
Old 16th July 2007, 05:46 PM   #5
timtodt

Hi Roger!

Thanks for good advice (as always!).

Tim
Old 17th July 2007, 04:48 AM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Tim,
Sooo....what worked, and what didn't?
Did you find the stock fin is now adequate?
Hope this helps,
Old 26th July 2007, 08:53 PM   #7
timtodt

I have worked with your advice with gently increasing pressure on the backfoot which helps.. I have also followed your advice in another thread lifting the frontfoot toes and pressing along the waterline with the backfoot. I don´t understand why this helps but it seems to work very well and I feel much more in control when I´m doing this and able to get more speed and upwind ability. It is a wonderful board, much better in almost every aspect than my old Xcite 120. I am still having problems with spin outs after chop hops but it is because I put to much pressure on the backfoot. I did my first planing gybes yesterday so I´m very happy!!

Kind Regards

Tim
Old 26th July 2007, 10:37 PM   #8
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Tim,
Something I learned quite a while ago about chop hops and jumping.
I know it's difficult, but try to "tuck the tail of your board under your butt" before you land.
The idea here is to have the fin re enter the water pointing lower than your course/trajectory.
The fin will hook right back up instantly as the water flow kicks it back to exactly the direction your board is heading.
Sounds like you are trying to get the fin back in the water pointed a little upwind of trajectory, and this causes spin out because your fin is starting to load up before it's fully down in the water.
Tuck the board under your butt and head the board a little off the wind (you normally drift a little off the wind in a chop hop or jump anyway while you are in the air) and the fin won't have any load as it re engages with the water.
Give it a try! Works for me!
Hope this helps,