Old 20th August 2007, 05:54 PM   #1
New Member
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1
Default instructor course


Where is the best place to do windsurfing instructor's course? I heard that RYA is the best bet, but seems to be very expensive... How many hours do you need to log in order to be employed at windsurfing school?
mik_wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:05 AM   #2
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 75

Hello Mik,
If you are in the UK, then the RYA is the way to go. People interested in teaching certification need to do it via the authorized organization in their own country. If you are interested in the best program, the RYA is right up there at the top for programs. It may be expensive, but it seems to be very comprehensive.
Windsurfing schools vary around the world in their requirements for instructors. In the US for example, you need US Sailing certification to teach at most sailing schools in yacht clubs, etc., and to be covered by the major insurance policies. However, there are people teaching who have no certification, but there is no one to stop them from doing so. They are assuming their own risk. In many countries, windsurfing is a "do it at your own risk" sport, and there is nothing to stop you from teaching.
An instructor's course is a good experience in any case, as you learn to rethink how you do everything, and learn to communicate to a wide range of people in a wide range of styles/words/demos/actions. I recommend the training in most any fashion. It will help your own sailing a lot.
hope this helps,
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Dream Team - School Guru
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,202

Hi Mik,
I have to agree with Ellen here.
If you wish to become a fully certified RYA Level 5 Windsurfing Instructor, you are going to have to spend some money and put in at least 100 hours teaching level 2 or higher classes.
But, at the end of the day, you will have ALL the necessary skills to teach windsurfing professionally (as a career) anywhere in the world, and RYA certification seems to be what all the larger windsurfing "destination resorts" would like for you to have BEFORE they will hire you.
As Ellen suggests, just becoming a "non-professional" windsurfing instructor in your country or region of residence only requires that you take the courses and gain the experience that your ISAF "governing body" requires for windsurfing instructors in your country.
If you wish to make windsurfing instruction a career, then perhaps you can look at taking the full range of RYA requirements as "going to college" just like you would for any other career.
And, as Ellen suggests, learning to teach windsurfing is one of the most dynamic and satisfying things a person can do. There's always something new to learn, a better way to teach something, etc. with this sport.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +7. The time now is 09:56 PM.