Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 21st April 2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Brian S

Default PT screws

Roger,
I sorta remember that you gave a source for footstrap screws. I found a thread where you referred to them as "PT" screws. Do you know where I could get some?
Brian
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 08:19 AM   #2
Ellen Faller
Dream Team - School

Brian,
Roger will probably have the explanation for you. But, failing anything else, let me know if you haven't found any.

Ellen
Ellen Faller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:19 AM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Brian,
Yes, if it's for a Starboard product, let us know and we may be able to come up with the screws you need.
"PT" stands for Plastics Technology and was patented by one of the aircraft hardware manufacturers.
I have never found a good source for them, but one of the specialty fastener supply houses may be able to get you something close.
The PT screws that come with nearly all boards are kinda special, so they really need to be replaced with similar screws.
What happened to your existing screws?
Stripped out heads......?
Broken off.....?
What?
If you've stripped out the heads, that's entirely due to using the incorrect size/type
Phillips screwdriver.
Pick up a couple of the good ones next time you are in Bonaire.
Caribbean Fastners has the Swiss made Fabrory Phillips #3 screwdrivers and they are the best I've ever found commercially.
The new 2008 Starboard "Tiki Tool II" seems to be pretty good as well.
Correct size ans geometry and they finally put the hardened and correctly coated/finsihed tips on them.
Hope this helps,
Sorry for the "correct tool" lecture, but that's what kills about 95% of windsurfing footstrap screws because the Stainless Steel (SS) they are made out of is quite
soft, and if you don't get full engagement of the tool in the drive recess of the screw,
the drive recess deforms and you get stripped screws very easily.
It always amazes me that the majority of FS screws get the recess damaged the first time the footstraps are installed.
A little soap on the screw (and in the plastic insert in the board) makes them go in much more easily and they can be tightened much more snugly after a session or 2.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Brian S

Thanks Roger and Ellen.
Actually I wanted to find screws for the inserts on the deck of a Starboard 12'6" SUP. Apparently the inserts are foot strap inserts. Don't really know what size or length to use, and there's really no info on the website.

Oh, and I appreciate the screwdriver advice too. Never got a tiki tool, but I have an old F2 screwdriver that's okay.

brian
PS. and if you can solve the twisting foot strap problem on my old X-186 formula board, that'd be great too. Really nervous about tightening those screws to the point of breakage.
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:46 AM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Brian,
OK, I'll find out what the 12' 6" SUP board Footstrap insert configuration is.
Then we can go from there.
Do you have the black plastic anti-twist plates with the round tang on one side and the
little spikes on the other side, for your X-186?
If not, I have some.
I'll get back to you when I find out the SUP FS insert configuration.
R
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Brian S

Thanks Roger. My X-186 doesn't have any anti-twist devices. I guess that's the problem. The foot straps that came with this board are sorta soft and don't hold shape well. The front strap twists a lot and I've been nervous about too much torque on the screws.
Old 26th April 2008, 04:14 AM   #7
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Brian,
I got an answer from Tiesda at Starboard HQ on your FS screws for the SUP
boards question.
The inserts are the same as on the windsurf boards, so 6mm x 28 mm PT screws
should fit very nicely!
As far as your X-186, can you send me a photo of the FS inserts in your board
(with one end of a strap removed)?
I may have some of the older FS anti twist plates, but I don't remember the exact
configuration that the X-186 was built with.
Hope this helps,
Old 26th April 2008, 10:26 PM   #8
Brian S

Thanks Roger. Not sure where I'll get the PY screws yet. I found a wholesaler, but not a retailer yet.
RE the X-186, I've got it stored for the winter still. I'll get it out this week and send the photos.
thanks again.
brian
Old 27th April 2008, 07:45 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Brian,
How many screws do you need?
I can send them to you as repayment for the spark
igniter from Bonaire last year.
Send me your mailing address via the Private Message feature
and I'll send you some screws.
R
Old 29th April 2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Brian,
I guess you have the SUP board with the mast track (slot) in the deck vs the SUP with the 2 inserts (like the 12'6" I have).
Ellen and I were looking for where the foostrap inserts are, and I had to write to Tiesda You at Starboard HQ to discover that there are 2 different "flavors".
The SUP boards with the mast slot have FS screw inserts and the insert holes are opened up and easy to locate.
The SUP boards with the 2 mast bolt inserts do not have any footstrap inserts at all.
Hope this helps someone as it was something I didn't know and probably never would have guessed.
Hope this helps,