Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th October 2006, 10:53 AM   #1
qldsalty

Default Drake crossover 26

Does any one have a photo of the above fin. I tried hard to see it on the drake site but black on black is impossible to see. I thinking about it for my Kombat 86 in light conditions.

qldsalty1@optusnet.com.au
Thanks.
qldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Jean-Marc
TEAM

Default RE: Drake crossover 26

qldsalty,

What sail size in light conditions ? Freeriding, freestyling or waveriding ?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 08:40 AM   #3
qldsalty

Hi, JM . With a 5.4 combat mostly. I have a couple of wave fins but was looking for something for bump and jump/flatish water. The original fin is long gone. Every now and then I put the straps out and blast around flat water, but only in truly powered up 5.4 weather. Being 81 kgs I tend to hang on to that sail when most are on 5.0 or below as it has a wide range, but the wave fins just don't go well. Years ago I had a Freesex 96 (2002) which had a 25 FS drake fin. I found that fin excellent and didn't need any other fins with that board. I used with 5.0 NR and 6.2 Soul.
I'm hoping to reproduce that feeling on the Kombat 86. Occasionally I also put a 6.1 expression on if light, but these days that sail rarely gets wet.
Also had a look at the Select freestyle wave fin. That looks the same as the old 25drake I had. Hopefully plenty of lift for jumps etc.
Old 29th October 2006, 01:15 AM   #4
Screamer

Hi qldsalty

You say you don't like wave fins feel for blasting with Kombat, so I'd say you can't go wrong with Select FSW 25 or 27 (if you're well powered, then go for 25). I often use 23 & 27 with my K86 (provided that wind is strong enough that I don't need stock Drake 30), excellent bump/jump fins.

Btw, powered 5.4 on a K86 - "light conditions"? I envy you
Screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 04:20 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

qsalty,

Shape wise, the new Drake crossover is not far from your ols FS fin in overall shape, but its a much better fin (Curtis design). I'm gonna try to remember taking a pic of it tomorrow. If I don't remindme with a PM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 04:20 AM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

qsalty,

Shape wise, the new Drake crossover is not far from your ols FS fin in overall shape, but its a much better fin (Curtis design). I'm gonna try to remember taking a pic of it tomorrow. If I don't remindme with a PM.
Old 1st November 2006, 04:20 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

qsalty,

Old 1st November 2006, 04:36 AM   #8
Jean-Marc
TEAM

qldsalty,

With my weight of 65 kg, I'm not sure I'm qualified enough with regards to your 81 kg weight, but anyway here is my experience regarding fins for K86 and my NP NR 5.4 wave sail :

1) inboard and front straps setting : the Drake Natural 24 cm wave fin is fine with that sail for waveriding and freeriding. It starts to get a bit too small with a NR 6.2, however.

2) outboard and back straps setting : the Drake Natural 24 cm wave fin feels a bit small when really pushing hard on it (spin-out) when freeriding. Much better results were recently obtained with an old design slalom 26 cm fin that I borrowed from a friend. Not only that fin is deeper, but it has significantly more surface area, providing a much better locked-in feeling on the tail block of the board.
My guess is that for your weight, you'll need a bigger fin than the Drake Natural 24 cm wave fin for freeride blasting and B&J, as you did experience with your previous 25 FS Drake 2002 fin. The new Drake Crossover 26 might be the right call as a do-it-all fin.

As for freestyle fins, I really don't know with K86 as I didn't test any so far. Remember that freestyle fins are low-aspect, i.e., short but have a lot of surface area, so I'm not sure whether a Select FSW 27 cm fin could be spot on or feel a bit too large with your 5.4 sail. I did get very good results with a 25 FS Drake 2001 fin that I used on my previous Carve 111 with my 5.4 sail, but for real blasting, a slalom 26 cm fin was much better again.

Hope this can helps you somewhat...?

Cheers !

JM
Jean-Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 10:38 AM   #9
qldsalty

Will have to get a Select I'm afraid. My dealer can't get Drake fins other than special order that takes for ever. So ordered a Select 25 FSW and hope for the best. Thanks for the advise as US box is pretty limiting for this application. Not much around.

If the Starboard team could let the Drake web people know you can't see the fins properly on the site that would be a help for them.
Old 3rd November 2006, 03:21 AM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

OK, the Select fin will probably work nice.

For other interested people, below is a pic of some Drake fins

From top left 06 freeride flow 30, 2007 30-22 Crossover, 06 Style 20
bottom row from left, Drake Natural 26-20 (06 and 07 mixed, only color differ).