Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 28th October 2006, 07:49 PM   #1
ole timer

Default I sonic 94

For what use do you recommand this board , and specialy , what differences with the 101 which seems very close in volume ...

Is it a good choice for a slalom board with 6 m and 7 m sails ?
ole timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 06:57 PM   #2
ole timer

Default RE: I sonic 94

Thank's for answering, i am waiting to buy the good one !!
Old 30th October 2006, 10:25 PM   #3
Willy B18

i.m.o. the iSonic 101 (due to its wider tail) handles bigger sails with more ease and will be easier to control in choppy conditions (that is what I found out sailing the iSonics).
I own the iSonic 101 and 122 and I think they are just fantastic (compared to the Sonic 100 which I did not like - I am 84 kgs).
The iSonic 94 (more looking like a Sonic) may be a bit faster in ideal conditions...

Grtz
Willy
Willy B18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 01:20 PM   #4
donpietro

Hi ole timer

I have the 94 and I can say you the fin will smoke as soon as....

don pietro
donpietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2006, 04:33 PM   #5
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi ole timer,

I haven't the iSonic 94, but the ideal size for the iSonic 101 is 6,7 and 7,7, with this 2 sails this board is extremely fast. So the Isonic 94 must work really well with 5,6 and 6,7.

Ian will probably give you more info

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 03:01 AM   #6
ole timer

thank's
if i resume, the 94 must be for flat and windy conditions, 101 more efficient in choppy ..is that correct Ian ?
Old 2nd November 2006, 08:04 AM   #7
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

I don't have any experience with the 87 and 94. But I have surfed the 85 two times and the 105 a couple of times. According to my experiences the oldschool 85 (2005) is really great in high winds and chop. The board feels small, controlable and reliable. I surfed it in avg 28 Kts and gust 35 Kts conditions with a GTX 6.0 and the board never left me alone even when the sail was to big and had to get rid of the gust while opening the sail. The board just stays upon the water. I heard recently that the 87 is even more controlable!

Compared to the 85 the 105 was much more orientated to low and medium winds. I carries my Overdrive 7.5 with a lot of ease. The 105 you really can surf with big sails over 7.5 mtr and relatively small fins. I also surfed it with sails down to 6.0 mtr, but 6.5 to 8.0 seems to be a very nice range the board performs well. In the 85 compared to the 105 is much easier to ride to my opinion. You have to work less and the 85 finds its way more easy. The 105 you really have to keep full on power and than it goes on like a rocket and can handle a reasonable amount of wind.

However some things have changed this year when you look to the shapes, 85 and 95 or 87 and 94 seems to be quite comparable.

Watch also out for what conditions you want to use the board. Concerning your own specs and equipment the answer of suggestions may answer. People use the 94 even with 7.7. As a simple first guess answer the 6.0 really works better with the 94 and the 7.0 works ideal with both, but your individual wishes are most important
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2006, 02:09 PM   #8
geo

As a Sonic 95 user, addicted to older style narrow designs and starting to think about next season gear, I would really love to read Ian's comments here.

Just to add my personal experience to this thread: I use a Sonic 95 with 6,6 and 7,6 TR-2 sails and 30, 32, 34 Deboichet SL2 fins. My place can get nice winds but the water surface is choppy and one encounters a lot of wakes from other sailors/kiters. I think the S95 behaves a lot "narrow" despite its discrete 58,5 cm. width.
The thick rails help a lot in carrying the 7,6 with ease, but the tail does not give too much leverage on the fin. I could use a 36 on it in lighter winds, but the 34 already starts to display some nervousness once at full speed. Nothing that would disturb a racer during a single slalom heat, but probably something one would rather like to smooth out if he is planning to have a full afternoon long ride. The board seems to like small fins better. I like the full volume tail and just can't understand why it has been thinned out in the '07 iS94.
In higher winds the 6,6 (fully downhauled) feels just perfect for the board. The ride is crisp and easy, I guess a somewhat smaller sail (meaning even higher winds and faster ride) would still be perfectly OK (in fact I am planning to purchase 6,3 and 7,0 for next season, instead of 6,6 and 7,6). When it gets really good, switching down from 32 to 30 fin makes a noticeable difference as it tames the ride and the board feels faster and easier; at full speed, of course, going upwind is really no problem: one just has to foot steer the board in the desired direction and let it go.
I must admit however that in marginal "nicely powered" (not overpowered) conditions the chop/wakes tend to slow the ride down and a more powerful board with a longer fin would be quicker in the end. My big doubts are about the trade off with the more powerful iS101 since I am addicted to the efficient flowing ride of narrow boards at speed and probably I would not like a "power" style board. I experienced the Hypersonic boards (105 and 111), I admit they both were incredibly fast and probably faster than the S95, nevertheless I returned to a classic design because I did not like the "power on" ride.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2006, 10:19 AM   #9
hans kleingeld

Send a message via MSN to hans kleingeld

Quote:
geo wrote:
As a Sonic 95 user, addicted to older style narrow designs and starting to think about next season gear, I would really love to read Ian's comments here.
I guess Ian is temporarily not at home, otherwise he really would have made up his ideas about his topic
hans kleingeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2006, 02:10 PM   #10
geo

Pity there is no answer.
Starboard offers a 6 model competition slalom lineup. Compare this to other manufacturers: JP covers the range with just 4 models; F2 offers 6 models too, but their SX XS is way smaller than iSonic 87 and the SX XXL is way larger than iSonic 133; super specialized CA offers 6 models, but the smallest is just 52 cm. wide and the second one is 55 cm., so both are smaller than iSonic 87... and so on.
There is a lot of overlap in the Starboard range, and this is good for sure, since one can carefully choose the right board for his style and conditions in which he will use it. But then again for the same reasons one needs lots of support when choosing in the Starboard range, expecially where the overlap can be better explained in terms of "style" rather than "size", so exactly between the iSonics 87 and 94 on one side, 101 on the other. Expecially the 94, if one reads the enthusiastic comments about the 101, seems to be a useless board... but I do not think Starboard developed a new shape from the 100/95 series for no reason.
IMvvvHO, such support could usefully be made available through more complete info in the web site; with the forum still there for the remaining curiosities. In a former post Ian seemed to share this idea, so maybe he is working on it and this must be why he does not show up here.
geo is offline   Reply With Quote