Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 21st November 2006, 03:55 PM   #1
qldsalty

Default Stype 93 For Ian

Hi Ian, I've just got got a new 2006 Stype 93. I already have a 2005 115 which is great. The question is: Is the volume actually 93 as it seems quite thick through the centre line for a long way forward? visually it looks bigger. Thanks
qldsalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: Stype 93 For Ian

Hi Salty,

I have seen a couple of measurements more like 95-96 but also agree that visually the board looks even bigger than it is because of the (relatively) full (thick) forward centreline. Using the time honored sink test it also rates more like mid 90's than low 90's.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 10:23 PM   #3
G-42

Ian,
niche question for you. How does the sT 93 do in truly overpowered, truly chaotic conditions for a big rider (95kg)? Wind shadow on the inside makes float and sloggability mandatory, yet 6 foot swell w/ cross-chop and 40+ knot winds require control. Can't keep my slalom board on the water in those conditions no matter how small a fin I use. Would this be an alternative?

G-42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2006, 11:17 PM   #4
Phill104

I tried the ST93 in similar conditions but found it just too bloody fast. A much better option for me in similar conditions was either the PA86 or a Kombat. Both were easier to control in the swell.

Here's some pics from that day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2006, 09:58 AM   #5
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi G42,

Have to agree with Phill that once the sea state gets REALLy big and messy then control is king and the ST93 is too bloody fast ! Definitely in those conditions you will likely be faster/safer/happier on something that is actually a bit SLOWER but allows you to go full power without concern (and deals with real wave or serious chop scenarios a bit better).

ST93 is killer in choppy and powered slalom conditions, which loosely defined are short to medium chop, even if steeply pitched (like super windy offshore etc that often brings hard edged slaloms into trouble or discomfort) it can survive into semi nuke but once you're hitting 6Ft cross chop it will become a bit more of a handful than most guys prefer.

Do-able ? Yes. Recommended? No.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote