Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 16th August 2006, 03:16 PM   #1
Tim L

Send a message via ICQ to Tim L
Default Isonic 2007 -> 2006 changes

Hi all,

From looking at the pictures of the new Isonic range i have some questions :

Are the smaller isonics 94-87 completely new boards or an evolution from the old sonic 85-95?

Will the smaller isonics (from 133 down on) be available in what used to be dram?

Are there a lot of substantial changes to the 101-111-122-133 models?

I think those are questions that will come up once in a while from seeing the boards and i'm very curious to hear from some of the starboard riders who have been involved in the development.

I might add i'm looking for a board to replace my 10 years old and used F2 sputnik265 WCE
i allready had my eye on a Fanatic Falcon80 but wanted to wait for the new isonic range to decide.

It's up to you to convince me to go for the isonic (94 or 87)

My weight is about 74 kg and i surf on flat water (very choppy most of the time) in holland.
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 03:45 PM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: Isonic 2007 -> 2006 changes

Hi Tim,

Having been very involved in the smaller iS and previous Sonics development and testing, I can give you the following feedback with some reasonable experience?.

Q1 = Are the smaller isonics 94-87 completely new boards or an evolution from the old sonic 85-95?
A1= Both. And that is not being evasive. The 2007 iS87 and 94 are very much evolution from the previous Sonics, which themselves had an extensive and successful evolution for many years and formed a proven benchmark against which to thoroughly test new concepts (iS87/94). In development, we tested some extreme iS versions of the new boards and tried many options that had proven effective elsewhere in the model range. Some features we found beneficial in iS87/94, some we found actually went too far and compromised the overall performance of the design for a smaller gain in one area only; these features were evaluated and tested, the end result is some of the more radical aspects were reduced in iS87/94 and the result is more moderate (and thus closer in some aspects to S85/S95) than the more radical protos tested. In summary, we tested a lot of things in a lot of conditions and only the best (but maybe the less fashionable) things went thru. The new boards are fully new designs for 2007 and fully new molds etc, but carry a very positive heritage from previous S85/95. The result and product is true.

Q2 = Will the smaller isonics (from 133 down on) be available in what used to be dram?
A2 = No, not under the current plans. iS is majority focused on performance and as such the majority market wants the better performance option. Larger iS have potential to support the (previous) F-Type market and as such are offered in Technora as an option.

Q3 = Are there a lot of substantial changes to the 101-111-122-133 models?
A3 = Yes, these are second generation versions of what was (for 2006) a new model, so logically there is a reasonable amount of refinement that can be achieved in that first to second year upgrade. That does NOT render the 2006 iS obsolete (look at Antoine?s recent results to see the 06 can still kick butt in any case) but there are realistic levels of improvement/upgrade/evolution in the second generation iS.

Q4 = It's up to you to convince me to go for the isonic (94 or 87)
A4 = Well, we rather let the product and the performance speak for itself. The results to date are pretty clear, there is no doubt they could not have been achieved if the board (or any other aspect of the rider/rig combo) was not at the very top of the heap. The testing and development for the 2006 iS has continued full bore for 2007 (probably even more). We?ll leave it to you to make the decision

Q5 =My weight is about 74 kg and i surf on flat water (very choppy most of the time) in Holland
A5 = OK, but if you would like us to recommend one of iS87or 94, please let us know your sail size range (min/max/typ) and also the style of sailing you will prefer on iS (slalom race/blasting/speed?)
All of those things are serious factors to decide the choice.

Cheers
Ian Fox ~ StarBoard Team
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 04:48 PM   #3
Tim L

Send a message via ICQ to Tim L

Quote:
Ian Fox wrote:

Q5 =My weight is about 74 kg and i surf on flat water (very choppy most of the time) in Holland
A5 = OK, but if you would like us to recommend one of iS87or 94, please let us know your sail size range (min/max/typ) and also the style of sailing you will prefer on iS (slalom race/blasting/speed?)
All of those things are serious factors to decide the choice.

Cheers
Ian Fox ~ StarBoard Team
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the quick response
The sails i would be using would be 6.5 m? and 5.8m? freerace sails (maybe 7.5 in very flat conditions, but it's no must.. i have a hypersonic for that sail)
once i need to go smaller i tend to use more comfortable board/sail combo's like a old tiga wave with freeride sail
My style is not purely speed oriented, but mainly slalom minded.
I love to do "one hour" sessions for gps-speedsurfing.
Tim L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 05:44 PM   #4
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Hi Tim,

For 74kg and 5.8/6.5m the iS87 is the better choice for powered blasting and slalom use (speed obviously too, comparing these two)
It won't carry a 7.5m that well, and if you're running GPSS 1Hr and the wind is a bit patchy, then it maybe easier to maintain a higher AVERAGE (although lower peak) on iS94 -unless you're really sure to be powered, in which case you will have an easier ride (a big deal for serious 1Hr sessions) on the smaller is87.

iS94 is a serious weapon in the 6.5-7.5m range (and useful in 1Hr mode as above) but might be getting alittle big for 74kg in true 5.8m conditions, unless you have pretty flat water in that wind..

Hope that nails it, bit less us know if you need more.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 04:05 AM   #5
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Until the website makes these pictures available, this might be useful for some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 04:45 AM   #6
MA_Pete

No DRAM iSonics in 2007? (Besides the former F-Types...)

Man am I glad I bought my DRAM iSonic 125 this year!

I need to buy him a baby brother next year, maybe a 101, I guess that will have to be a wood one...
MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 07:18 PM   #7
Hardie

That isonic 155 interests me, does it come with a deep tuttle box, and what fins? Planing thresholds, average?

And can this board reach?
Hardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2006, 09:27 PM   #8
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Quote:
MA_Pete wrote:
No DRAM iSonics in 2007? (Besides the former F-Types...)

Man am I glad I bought my DRAM iSonic 125 this year!

I need to buy him a baby brother next year, maybe a 101, I guess that will have to be a wood one...
I only posted the pictures I found. I imagine they will all be available in DRAM like last year. I figure they will fix their website soon and we'll see more of the board details.

I'm thinking of getting a sibling for my iS105... maybe a iS122. ;-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 08:54 AM   #9
MA_Pete

o2bnme:

Per Ian's post (the 2nd post above), they are only doing 133 and down in Wood this year.

I wish they would do Technora, I like the durability and price better...

-Pete

MA_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Karen

A pity the smaller Isonics are not being built in Technora.
Personally I do prefer the D-Ram (or the new Technora material) because they are cheaper and because they keep their original fresh look.

Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote