Old 30th December 2006, 08:10 PM   #1
trtrtr

Default Another Isonic choosing problem

The forum contains mostly such questions but as all situations are ,I think , unique I have to ask again

I am planning to buy an Isonic but am still not quite sure to go for which one
its hard when there is big range of options

I weight about 98 kg and the the wind range where I mostly surf is 12-22 knots and my sail range is 8.5-7.5-6.5

I was thinking about a 122 but as I don't have the chance to test I need to ask the experts.

thanks in advance

Tanju
trtrtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 02:32 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: Another Isonic choosing problem

Hi Tanju,

Your practical options in this case are really the iS122 and 133, and in performance terms generally the 122 will be a good choice for your rider weight/conditions. But...

Making the optimal choice between these two really depends on which % of your time you will spend in each wind/sail range and also sailor style/technique/experience/energy ; riders prefering an "easy" style without too much rider input or active effort required usually prefer one size larger(iS133), whereas riders (of same size) with an "active" style often ideally prefer/choose the one size smaller (iS122) option, preferring to work a little harder at the bottom end of the boards range to get/maintain planing in exchange for a potentially faster, more responsive top end range. Both "styles" are valid, but identifying a rider's individual style/taste/preference, and then selectinging accordingly is an important part of getting the right size.

Both these iSonics have suprisingly better top end higher wind ranges than most would expect, and especially with a heavier rider to maintain trim in higher winds/chop, are not so difficult (or demanding) to sail into more challenging conditions c/w "normal" slalom boards of similar dimensions. iS122 has a particularly sweet jibe for a board of this size/nature, and that really helps make riding a "big" slalom board a much more fun and satisfying experience.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 04:29 AM   #3
trtrtr

Default RE: Another Isonic choosing problem

Thanks Ian for the quick and detailed response

That helped a lot

Happy new year

Tanju
trtrtr is offline   Reply With Quote