Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 6th January 2007, 02:52 AM   #1
stefan2511

Default Can you freestyle with a Carve?

Hello,

I'm doubting about going to freestyle or going to freeride-slalom-race. So because of that I thought of a Starboard Carve 101.

I'm 60 kg and a progressive beginner (began in august 06). I can beachstart, plane in the footstraps and hooked, tack, low wind (non-planing) jibe and I'm working on my jibe when I'm planing. I use a G0 139 '06 and a 4.7 Loft Lip Wave 5.5 and np solo. In a while I will buy a Loft O2 Freeride 6.6 sail with RDM.

Do you think the carve 101 l. is a good idea for me? When I would like to try some freestyle, is this possible on a Carve? Is there a Carve from another building year that would be better for "freemove"? When I use a freestyle fin with a Carve, what could I do with this combination? Would the difference between the 2006 and 2007 be sensible for me, as a progressive beginner?

All other advices are welcome of course
stefan2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 05:28 AM   #2
GEM

Default RE: Can you freestyle with a Carve?

Personally, at your stage, I would recommend that in planing conditions you work on planing jibes and fast tacks, as well as learning to chop hop. In sub-planing conditions, work on helitacks, sailing front-to-back, sailing clew-first, backwinded pivot jibes, sailing fin-first, and 'twiddly' moves like sail-n-body 360's.

The C101 is a fine board for learning all of those moves, and probably *B's best for your stage, since it will be the easiest board in the lineup to learn a planing jibe, and will work fine for all the rest of the stuff.

Have fun!
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2007, 03:48 PM   #3
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

I agree with gem.

I think that the carve is a great board to do all sorts of carve gybes and also the old school freestyle tricks (like sail tricks and cowboys and carving 360 and body drags...) and it is also a great board because it is easy to control. Its also good for learning how to jump in choppy water. If you get into the new school freestyle, i think that you will be able to learn the volcan with it, but it would definately be good to get a more dedicated freestyle board for it, because on the carve you can't have only one footstrap in the back.

All in all, I think that the carve IS the ideal board for your stage.

Old 8th January 2007, 12:46 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I also agree with Gem and Lampi, for a typical sailir progressing kind of typically, a Carve is indeed the perfect board to progress on. It has been optimized for easy planing, good speed, easy jibing, stability etc.

If you're really dedicated you can ski "the Carve stage" though and go directly on a more "performance" type board like a Kombat or even Flare. The Flare may look a bit strange with its odd rails and they may in the beginning feel weird to step on too but it is in fact an easy board to sail (inboard and pretty well forward straps, efficient rocker etc. You might want to trick it out with a significantly bigger fin in the beginning. Even with such a fin, it's NOT as easy as a Carve but if you're really determined to go into freestyle it should work. I've seen people get good in freestyle extremely fast and today people learn forward loops and spocks before they master a carving jibe...

A Kombat is still better at freestyle than a Carve, but not really a dedicated freestyle board like the Flare. I would also say that the Kombat is slightly less easy to get going, but ist better jibing and generally a good board fo classic freemove sailing. Good in waves too and compared to a Flare it has the benefit of a freeride mode (straps back and out) if you decide you like that type of sailing. The Kombat is maybe a bit of an outsider if you know freestyle is gonna be your thing.

But again, the Carve is the natural choice - just not the only choice.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2007, 01:35 AM   #5
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

''I've seen people get good in freestyle extremely fast and today people learn forward loops and spocks before they master a carving jibe...''

That's me
Old 9th January 2007, 10:19 AM   #6
GEM

It is definitely possible to learn new school freestyle while not being capable at the more bread and butter skills, just like lots of jazz players can play by ear, but can't read music.

Can be done and advisable are two different things. In the old days, when most boards were hard to jibe, a lot of people just went BNF and crash-tacked at the ends. Odd, I don't see them around anymore...I wonder why they stopped showing up?!

I agree with Ola's thought that some people can go straight to a Kombat, but that's probably only a good idea if you are able to get a LOT of time on the water or are a 'natural'. If you are a run-of-the-mill sailor, can get out sometimes on the weekend, do yourself a favor and get a Carve.

I disagree with Ola's suggestion of going to the Flare. It's a dedicated new-school, slidey, freestyle board (according to *B literature). What this really means is that you can't make it into a great all-around by sticking on a bigger fin (as many of the early freestyle boards could do).

Again, the Carve is a fabulous choice; i would strongly recommend the kinds of moves I suggested. Do that and you'll be able to go into the advanced stuff and be richly rewarded.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 08:22 PM   #7
stefan2511

Thanks for all the replies! I think the Carve is coming closer. But I've got another choice. It's the Exocet Cross 102. I really like Starboard, and I would like buying one, but this board is also a very good alternative. Is this board comparable with the Carve and a set of different fins? The Cross is not a pure freerider like the Carve, but more freeride/freestyle with some wave ambition. What kind of new school tricks are possible with a Carve in combination with a freestyle fin?

Greets, Stefan
stefan2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 09:55 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

Stefan: I don't know to much about the Cross series of boards, but I guess if anyhting they are most similar to the Kombats. Regarding the Carve, I suppose most tricks are possible, the difference is just that it will be much harder to learn them than on a dedicated freestyle board.

GEM: The Flare is indeed labeled as a dedicated freestyler and it also is a world class freestyle board. The fact though, is that its super easy to sail too. Its slightly longerr than a Kombat fx and has a more drawn out rocker (a pure classic slalom rocker) which makes planing easier. Together with forgiving rails that is still not too soft and no other gimicks on the bottom that gives a board that is easy to plane away on and has a less well definied treshold feel to the planing. It kind of glides up onto a plane fairly efforless and while you certainly _can_ boost its early planing even more by an active sailing style, it handles less active sailors well too. If also forgiving towards differnt sail types and handles both low power and high power stuff. Add the inboard straps and the only thing that makes this board kind of "odd" from a beginners perspektive is the odd deck shape at the rails, but as I wrote, I think you would get used to that pretty quickly. So overall, in real life it works well with beginners despite its freestyle designation.

The Flare is also fast with a differnt fin and a prettty fun blasting board, but since it misses outboard straps, it will never be an as good freerider as a Carve or even a Kombat, so a biginner looing towards that kind of sailing should of course look elsewhere.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi All,

I will diffinetly recommend a Stype 93 or 104..

This board is faster then the Carve, can aslo do freestyle from vulcan to spocks.. you can also use it as a good small waves cruising etc etc..

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi All,

I will diffinetly recommend a Stype 93 or 104..

This board is faster then the Carve, can aslo do freestyle from vulcan to spocks.. you can also use it as a good small waves cruising etc etc..

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote